Monday, October 13, 2008

One Month Mark

So it was one month ago today that Ike came ashore. Feels like a year. Here's what we know now that we didn't know a month ago today:

1. FEMA has denied any housing assistance because "based on FEMA's inspection, the damage to your home does not prevent you from living in the dwelling". WTH?
2. We have YET to get a claim number or adjuster for our flood insurance.
3. We have a cell number for our wind adjuster but haven't seen or heard from him.
4. All we've gotten is a check for $2,500 from TWIA, and that's only because I stood in line for 2 hours at Gulf Greyhound Park to get the evacuation cost refund.
5. Our out of pocket expenses, not counting what we put down on our motorhome, is over $6,000 so far. That does not take housing into account.
6. We are back in Galveston and the kids are back at school.
7. We have laundry facilities set up on Bart's garage.
8. We have a new mailbox so we can receive mail, but it hasn't happened yet.
9. We've only been able to access our house by vehicle for one week.
10. My kids now look forward to the Red Cross truck coming down our street so they can get snacks like pudding and cookies.
11. I wanna go to sleep and wake up when it's over. And by over, I mean I have a house to live in, clothes in my closet, my city is clean, trees are green, and businesses have re-opened.
12. yes, I know people have it much worse than me, and they have my complete and utter sympathy.

5 comments:

Qwnbee77 said...

Love you...

Tami Waters said...

Aw, Pants! You're handling this better than nearly any of us would. You're a strong woman, and you're doing great. I can't believe it's already been a month! I'm thinking about you and praying for you regularly. (((HUGS)))

Anonymous said...

You made the Red Cross Chat blog today with #10.
http://redcrosschat.org/2008/10/14/hurricane-ike-one-month-and-a-day-later/

Thanks!
Wendy Harman, American Red Cross Headquarters

Anonymous said...

Awe Nancy....*sniff* you break my heart! I *love* you!!!

ria813 said...

Aw sweetheart, know that I am thinking of you. I wish I could come down there and help you out.
(((hugs to you and your family))