Wednesday, February 02, 2005

State of the Union

I love PowerLine's liveblog on the address.

Obviously, I thought the most moving part by far was the long-lasting hug between the Iraqi woman and Mrs. Norwood, mother of a fallen hero from the Iraq War. How symbolic can you get! Even the husband teared up (mine, that is!).



I love the Social Security ideas. I can't believe the Dem's booed when he stated that SS will be bankrupt by a certain date. Hello! It's not like he wants it to be....he's the one trying to prevent it! They want to continue denying the crisis of the situation because they want to keep the fund "raidable" for all the assorted programs and entitlements. Sorry, but I call 'em like I see 'em. I loved the way he told Congress they had to deal with it and not pass the buck to the next generation.

I also love it when he said every nominee deserves a vote. No more filibustering!! (I only wish that would make it true)

Now on to foreign policy. Wow, he came out swinging on this! He said to the Iranians "as you stand for your own liberty, America stands with you". Ummm....that's no idle promise. He just lowered the Guantlet on Iran.

Money for the Palestinians? That almost made my dinner make an encore appearance. Sorry, but I'm not convinced that anyone in that area is interested in democracy or freedom. They seem to thrive on the opposite. Don't think I'm ever going to forget the live broadcasts of the Palestinians dancing in the streets after 9/11. Not happening.

I love the continuance of support for faith-based programs that work. I mean, this is who should be helping those with aids, preventing gangs and all the other social programs mentioned tonight. Let's face it - those who are motivated by their faith to help others or far MORE motivated than most seculars and they do a great job. If you're not religious and you're bothered by this....start up a secular charity and do the same thing. I just think communities, local & national charitable organizations and especially churches, etc. ought to be the ones working in acts of compassion, etc. to help their fellow citizens, not the government.

OK, that pretty much sums up the highlights for me. Feel free to add you own...

No comments: